August 19, 2012

The Observer

Bismillah...

In the nook of the world
there, a figure sat in deep thought
desert dust under the fingertips
dry wind sighs


here is the weeping land

he reminisce his childhood at the small countryside 
how it reflects of innocence
of moral, good thoughts and good deeds

here, in this city, for 35 years
seen grief, despair
greed, corruption
the heart build with a certain dissatisfaction
a certain wrong that only few could see
him and his dear friend

there's a deep wrong in his society
and no one else seems to understand it
a stranger among their midst
felt the love of the people
yet, not on how they have lived their life as

 a few nights passed when another visited him
the manner he approached was frightening in his hold
warm in his conduct and speech
"Read," he said, three times before he finally released his hold
and like light pouring to his soul
the words came

...and when it ended
he ran, frightened
of what he had seen
of what had been told
and of who he really was

 "blanket me, blanket me!"
on reaching home, shoulders wrapped in a blanket
he narrated what had happened, fearing himself 
yet his kind wife comforted him
"Rejoice, O son of my uncle, and be of good heart. Surely by Him in whose hand is my soul, I have hope that you will be the prophet of this people. You have never done any wrong to anyone. You are kind to others and you help the poor. So Allah will not let you down."

he fell asleep
and when he woke up, his kind wife brought him to her uncle
"This is the same one who keeps the secrets (Jibril) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out."
"..and would I be turn out?"
"Yes..as were your brothers before you."

and so begins
the battle of will, heart, emotion, strength
a lifetime
when the value of right and wrong weigh by His scale
challenge the life he had known
how the Jahiliyyah need to be removed even with a chisel
even with it takes part of his heart every single time
when they lashed out
when he was beaten
when he was ridiculed
when his daughter cried, removing the camel's intestine thrown on his back
"do not weep, my daughter, For Allah swt shall protect your father."

his battles continue
yet he survived
his wife and his uncle were his biggest supporter
but the pressure of his people begin to weigh heavily on his uncle
and wearily, his uncle tried to reason with him, on the basis of what had been done to his family (disorientation, angst)
..and you're done with this, aren't you? A fight you couldn't understand.
“By God! If they were to place the sun in my right hand and the moon in my left hand in order to abandon this mission, I would not do so until it has been well established or I would perish in my attempt to do so,” he resolved.
dejected, he walked away.

on seeing his nephew's back, he too resolved,
 "I swear by God that I will not quit supporting you and will not let them hurt you."

- - -

family is family
whether in faith or otherwise

... but I can hope, can't I?

"And those who believed and whose descendants followed them in faith - We will join with them their descendants, and We will not deprive them of anything of their deeds. Every person, for what he earned, is retained."
At-Tur, 52: 21

- - -

No comments:

Post a Comment